Environmental Technician - Wastewater
Location: Batesville, IN 47006, USA
Driven to be the best. At Batesville, you will be a part of a dynamic team committed to excellence and innovation. A recognized leader in the death care industry in North America, our focus lies in delivering meaningful solutions to help families honor the lives of those they love®. We are currently seeking an Environmental Technician to join our team in Batesville, Indiana.
Your Role at Batesville:
As an Environmental Technician, you will be responsible for carrying out wastewater treatment and waste management duties for multiple facilities. You will complete daily and weekly inspections, maintain cleaning and maintenance schedules, and perform environmental samplings as needed.
How You’ll be Rewarded:
- Batesville is a family. You will be part of a family of highly committed associates who are passionate about our company, committed to our customers and excited about our future.
- Competitive pay
- IMMEDIATE ELIGIBILITY - Comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance, as well as prescription coverage, short-term disability, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), and more.
- Generous 401K Matching Program
- Paid time off
- Opportunities for development and advancement
What You’ll Do:
- Daily management of wastewater treatment operations. Fill chemical tanks, calibrate pH meters, troubleshoot system (on-call), press sludge, dry sludge, read flow and pH meters, and routine cleaning.
- Hazardous/ Non-hazardous/ Universal waste management. Daily /weekly hazardous waste inspections, labeling & drum handling, load drums, maintain empty drum and waste storage areas (isle spacing, orderliness, cleanliness, etc.) schedule waste shipments, manage and schedule paint pit pumps outs and annual cleaning, fill out Bill of Ladings and Manifesting paperwork, puncture aerosol cans, prepare waste materials for transportation, and sign manifests. SWP3 inspections, SPCC inspections, and other weekly and monthly audits/inspections.
- Perform Environmental Sampling: Wastewater, Daily checks & weekly/monthly sampling, Storm water, and Waste & Air as required.
- Manage clean manufacturing activities – Identify and implement waste minimization and pollution prevention opportunities, manage recycling program, load recycling shipments, ensure exterior of facilities are clean.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the EHS Engineer on a daily basis - Read meters weekly, daily checks on remediation system, involvement in safety issues, and calibrate air monitors.
- Other duties to be assigned.
What You’ll Bring:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Environmental Health and Safety background
- Willingness to obtain class C wastewater treatment license (company willing to train)
- Willingness to obtain RCRA 40 CFR 262.34(a)(4) and 265.16 certification (company willing to train)
- Willingness to obtain DOT 49 CFR 172.704(a) certification (company willing to train)
- Ability to perform duties without direct supervision
- Good organization and cleanliness skills
- Basic computer skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Other duties may be assigned
Nice to Haves:
- One year certificate from college or technical school in related field preferred
- Previous wastewater and waste management experience preferred
- Previous mechanical and technical background
To perform this job successfully, the physical demands listed are representative of those that must be met by an employee. Reasonable accommodation(s) may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, use hands to handle and feel, reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear. The employee may occasionally be required to crouch, or lift items as heavy as 25 lbs. This job may require the employee to see with clarity at both near and far distances.
Join the Batesville family and apply today!
Who We Are:
A cornerstone in the death care industry, Batesville has distinguished itself from all others through our commitment to quality, service, and innovation. For more than 115 years, Batesville has been dedicated to serving the needs of licensed funeral professionals and helping families honor the lives of those they love.® With annual revenues of approximately $600 million, Batesville is a leader, providing a comprehensive portfolio of burial and cremation products, memorialization offerings, profit-enhancing merchandising systems and leading-edge technology solutions.
At Batesville, our associates are our strongest asset. We strive to attract, hire, and develop the best and brightest to ensure our place in the future. Batesville has a strong culture of achievement, which is underpinned by these five core values:
- Individual worth and integrity
- Excellence in execution
- Spirit of continuous learning and improvement
- Customer focus and partnership
What Sets Us Apart:
Making a difference: Helping families honor the lives of those they love® isn’t just our mission. It’s why we do what we do every day to make every Batesville product the best it can be.
Development is a priority: We promote learning and development from Day 1. From our Experience Batesville onboarding program to self-guided courses on Batesville University, there are numerous opportunities to advance your skills. We encourage associates to create Individual Development Plans (IDPs) to help drive career-focused discussions and advancement.
Putting customers first: We value the funeral professional’s role in serving families and are committed to doing our part to ensure their success.
We Have Fun! We work hard, but when it’s time to play, we get creative – and competitive. We provide numerous engagement activities to bring people together across the organization.
We Give Back: We support our communities by assisting in fundraising events and volunteer programs to help those in need. *These services are not available at all Batesville locations.
DISCLAIMER: The above information in this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by the employee within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of any employee assigned to this job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
At Batesville, we strive to build a diverse workforce through equal-opportunity employment that embraces and leverages the differences each individual has to offer. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer of minorities/females/disabled/veterans.